Kohlrabi is a member of the Brassica family, making it very similar in flavour to many of its cousins: kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and of course, cabbage. It has a firm crispy texture, tastes like a cross between cabbage and mild turnips, and is absolutely delicious raw in salads and slaws. The green and purple colours have the same flavour and colour of flesh inside, though they do offer slightly different phytonutrients. In addition to being a fresh seasonal treat, kohlrabi is also a nutrient powerhouse, offering vitamins that support the immune system and healthy digestion.
|Kohlrabi slaw is perfect as a side for dinner or a main for lunch!|
3/4 c. kohlrabi, thinly sliced into matchsticks
1/2 c. fennel, thinly sliced
2 cobs corn, shucked
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
100 ml White Wine 1 c. crème fraiche or sour cream
2 tbsp mayonaise
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves plucked
4 sage leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 c. apple, thinly sliced into matchsticks
1/4 c. sweet or green onion, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly sauté the corn with the butter and garlic.
2. Once lightly browned, add the white wine and reduce until almost dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. In a bowl, whisk together crème fraiche (or sour cream), mayo, canola oil, apple vinegar, thyme, sage and seasoning.
4. Add in the kohlrabi, fennel, corn, apple, and onion.
5. Mix everything together and serve.
This will last in the fridge for a day or two, so it's perfect to pack for lunch! Adding other fresh vegetables, like grated carrots and thinly sliced radishes is a perfect way to add a twist to this basic slaw recipe.
- Riverbend Gardens grows kohlrabi and fennel.
- The Plot sells a variety of herbs at market, and will be back at market on August 13.
- Dargatz Family Farm and Holden Colony have radishes available in July to add to the recipe if you need an extra spicy kick!
- Dargatz Family Farm, Holden Colony and Riverbend Gardens all carry corn and carrots (optional in this recipe) at different points in the season.
- Red Apple B.C. Fruit, AIG Produce and Steve and Dan's all carry many varieties of apples.
- Birds and Bees Winery sells delicious white wines.
Visit our website at http://www.swefm.ca